AVIATION SECURITY IN AFRICA
GRASSROOT CAMPAIGN STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE SECURITY AT AFRICAN AIRPORTS
¦ Africa has about 500 national airports, 117 international airports and more than 1,000 airfields .
There is a need for African aviation to increase investment to reach international security standards. African aviation forms a small percentage of overall international activities, yet represents a high level of accidents at international level. African countries must invest billions of dollars on aviation to bring them up to international security standards. Although Africa accounted for only 4.5 percent of global air traffic, 25 percent of all accidents in which aircraft were lost in 2004 occurred in Africa, according to the International Air Transport Association.
- LOBBYING AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS TO INCREASE BUDGET FOR TRANSPORTATION
- DISCUSSION ON CONGESTION AT AIPPORTS
- COMMUINITY VIGILANCE AND PARTICIPATION
- SECURITY AT TERMINALS
- EDUCATION, COMMUNITY DISCUSSIONS AND FORUMS
- EDUCATING THE PUBLIC ON SMUGGLING AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION